Home/About

Farm history
The farm De Kleine Zoute originated in the early 1700’s as a grazing and hunting outpost for the Dutch East Indian Company. Its original name “Aan her overzyde van de Kleine Zoute Rivier” literally means “on the other side of the little salt river”. The nick name Vaatjie was given to the farm in the late 1800’s, when one of the owners., a Mr.Schietekat, sunk a well at an overnight camping spot on the transport route that crossed the farm. He used a keg (Vaatjie) to prevent the sand from filling the well. Mr.Schietekat loved his sweet wine, which he bought in Paarl. The transport riders commented that the Vaatjie wells water had a nice “sweet wine” taste!

HOME 4X4 TRAIL FEATURES RATES HINTS & TIPS FRIENDLY LINKS CONTACTS GALLERY